Thursday, August 25, 2011

Better to be Pissed off then Pissed on.....Oh Wait. That was Pee.

So my friends, I have a few moments tonight to reflect on the past few days and all I can say is WTF.

Yesterday we had an earthquake in Mineral, VA. It's about 30 miles I guess from my house. It was not awesome. I was home all alone working and everything started rumbling. I'm thinking man! They are really blowing shit up on Quantico today and then the rumbling got stronger and louder, the light fixtures were shaking, and it dawned on me.....EARTHQUAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, as many of you know I'm a take charge kind of gal and this situation was no different, however, my emergency responses do not include what to do in the event of an earthquake so I go into tornado response mode. I grabbed the dogs (Sadie Marie was at daycare) and we headed down to the basement, then I thought if this house collapses I'm screwed so we headed back up stairs to the tub. Then I realized if the top floor collapsed I was screwed, so then we just stood in the hallway. If I had thought to grab a book I would have been on the floor, indian style, facing the wall with a book over my head. Thank you elementary school for teaching me a book might save my life in the event my house is destroyed by a tornado.

I got through to the sitter and Sadie Marie was fine thank goodness. Cell phones were down and it was a great eye opener to what it will be like if some serious shit really did go down in this area. If you don't have a satellite phone you are effed.

Anyway, apparently tornado ER reponse and earthquake respose are NOT the same. I should have stayed put and got in a doorway. Why? If my house had collapsed do you really think standing in the doorway was going to save me. Maybe I should have gone outside, but the idea of falling into a sink hole does not appeal to me. When I picked Sadie Marie up from daycare, her infant gram told me that she was not bothered by the earthquake, but it was proabably becuase her hiney makes that sounds sometimes!!!!!!!!! HILARIOUS! I totally put this in her baby book so I can embarass her in about 15 years.

We survived, but it was not fun. I'm currently looking into earthquake insurance because apparently earthquakes are NOT covered in your normal policy.

On to today.......it was a doozy. When I have to go to work I get up at 5 AM. Sadie Marie usually eats at this time and after I feed and get myself ready it's 615 and time for me to head out the door. Work was good yesterday, I was tired because first, I was notified that one of my best friends was in labor when her water broke at 1015 PM and I of course I was excited and it was hard to fall alseep. :) AND the little peanut has decided she no longer needs to eat at night but is not going to let me sleep just to keep my honest. She was up every hour wanting her pacifier to be put in her mouth, which she promptly spits out once she goes to sleep, but then and hour or two later wants it back. I guess she was excited about little Isabelle's arrival too!  I should probably duct tape her pacifier to her head......that's legal right?

So after work, I'm tired but because I'm also over these last 10 lbs of baby weight hanging out around my midsection like a spare tire, I went to the gym and worked it out and so our adventure begins......

I get home and don't even get a hello from the baby daddy.......
Him: "She ate 2.5 hours ago"
Me: OK
Him: You need to hurry
Me: Fix her a bottle I need to shower!

I get a look of how, why, and what from him all at the same time. I had just walked in the door from a 12 hour day. FIX HER A BOTTLE. Then my mommy skills kicked in and I decided I would rather nurse her since I'm home than have to pump SO I proceed to take a quick shower and feed the baby while he packed to go to Virginia Beach for work. If there was every a time I wanted to drop kick someone it was at that moment.

And then the screaming commenced........I have never seen a child who eats, is happy for a hot second, and then screams for an hour. We burped her, we walked, we swang, we rocked. NADA. She was angry, why I have no idea, but I was too exhausted to really care about the why, I just wanted some quiet so we all took turns trying to pacify this poor child and finally she dozed off. SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH......no body move. she's alseep. :)

After a little power nap Sadie Marie clearly felt better and plus it was bath time. Have I ever mentioned Sadie Marie LOVES bathtime. We read, we play with her toys, and we mostly talk about her day and mine. So I take her to her changing table to get her undressed and we sing a little song about her being naked because she loves it and BOOM. I felt something kinda warm and realized........I got peed on. I knew it was bound to happen at some point in my life but as I'm hollering........OHHHHHH, she just peed on me the baby daddy starts cackling. Thanks Buddy I hope she poops on you.

So! Lessons learned.

1. In the event of an earthquake. If you are inside stay inside and get in a doorway. Probably won't save your life, but when they talk about you later, they can at least say you did the right thing and it was probably just your time.
2. When transporting a baby. Diaper, Diaper, Diaper even if it's only for 15 seconds from her room to the tub.
3. Duct taping a pacifier to a baby is not legal. I checked.
4. Coffee is the best thing since sliced bread.
5. I LOVE my little peanut more and more each day even though she really does seem to be plotting against us. I think that is why I love her so much, she keeps us on our toes and is giving me plenty to talk about.

Love y'all!

She has just discovered her feet! She looks at them all the time!

She has also started rolling over and pushing up.

Crawling is next. Yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment