Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Child Rearing and Dog Training....Is there Really a Difference?

So the past couple of days have been eventful. I left Sadie Marie alone with the Baby Daddy for the first time and it not a disaster. I went to a baby shower on Saturday.....I was gone 1.5 hours and I was about 3 minutes from home when he called:

Him: "Where are you? How far away? She's screaming........"
Me: "I'm three minutes away"
Him: "Click"

He hung up on me! Thanks buddy, I'm almost home, no need for the hostility.....I left two pages of instructions and six oz of fresh breast milk.....all you had to do was follow the instructions.....I think we all knew that was wishful thinking on my part. In his defense when I got home the bottle was fixed and sitting on the coffee table. I told him the next step would have been to feed it to Sadie Marie.

So we survived Saturday and I ventured out again on Sunday to a baby shower and it was less stressful, Sadie Marie slept the entire time I was gone and I got back in plenty of time to feed her. I have another outing planned for this afternoon, I have not been to the grocery store since Cunnie left almost two weeks ago. We are getting close to having to wipe with leaves, so on Sunday I started planning my grocery trip. It's super double at the store so they double coupons up to $1.99 and I love super double! It's a longer grocery trip so......hopefully it will be better than the last one where we left Cunnie alone with Sadie Marie!

I talked to Auntie Rae Rae today and this is my bestie who has been my bestie for more than 15 years since we were just amateur trouble makers in high school. She's been with me for a while and I value her opinion, while she does not have any kids of her own just yet, she's a teacher and so I feel like she has some insight to the child psyche so we were chatting about my trip to Alabama at the end of the month and how it was slightly ambitious to travel with a newborn and two dogs. I thought is might take us just under a week to get to AL. After we stop every 2-3 hours to feed, in reality a 12 hour trip is probably going to take 15-16 hours depending on how the baby does. I'm willing to risk it though to get some where near my mother for two weeks!

I was telling Reagan about how Sadie Marie cries sometimes and how it can be frustrating and disheartening when you don't know what to do to make them feel better or in the very least to get her to stop crying and Reagan said: "We use a spray bottle on the dog when he's bad so maybe you should try that."

Roger that, I'm immediately going to buy a spray bottle to squirt my one month old daughter when she won't stop crying. Chinese water torture just took on a new meaning. Newborn water torture sounds kinda like child abuse so maybe I will table this advice until she's 5 or 6 years old and will understand why she's getting squirted. I don't doubt the success of the technique, I just think we might be jumping the gun on utilizing it successfully at this young age.

Now, Reagan was just kidding but if y'all know us, it was hilarious! I really do need some advice on traveling with a newborn and two dogs. I'm most worried about the logistics of it all, Bailey is getting shafted to the back of the car so where is all our stuff going to go? I'm thinking about a trailer hitch carrier and hope all our stuff fits on it so no luggage has to go in the car. Also, I have all this frozen breast milk I want to bring with me.....how do I get it all to AL?

OK gotta go the little chipmunk is beckoning!

Love Y'all!

April

They are the best sleeping buddies!

1 comment:

  1. Miss you in the office Miss April! Love your blog. I cracked up at your poor cell phone chat with Theron! Aww...

    With Ava, in the beginning, I would be so tired that I'd have an emotional breakdown when she was crying for no apparent reason. It was a hot mess. By the time Jay Bradley came along though, well i just stash him in the swing and let him roar.

    :)

    ReplyDelete