Sunday, June 26, 2011

Newborn + 12 (14) Hour Drive = Recipe for Disaster?

Not hardly. I was so stressed about traveling with Sadie Marie yesterday I could barely sleep on Friday night. Well it was partially stress, but mostly I felt like a kid at Christmas. Getting to spend two weeks with my mom and dady is like opening my new nintendo in 1985. Yep, I just went 1985 on y'alls asses and it's not because I love them SO much as I love their help with the baby SO much! :) I seriously felt like that yesterday when we arrived, but first let me tell y'all about the trip.

It was not as bad as the look the doctor gave me on Friday when I told her I was planning to travel 12+ hours with Sadie Marie the next day. She looked at me like I was a fidiot and said, she can travel just don't take her in big crowds, don't let anyone kiss her on the face, and have folks wash their hands before they hold her. Got it. Treat everyone like they have anthrax poisioning and don't let anyone touch the baby. Get real lady. I'm from Alabama, I'll be lucky if she gets back without being licked from head to toe by the dogs much less held by anyone. I came here to show her off not hide her from the world like she's a Jew in 1942 Nazi Germany.

On to the trip. It was pleasant, we had a few moments. For example, we pulled over at a reststop at 7 AM, we had been on the road for two hours but it had been three since Sadie Marie ate so it was time, but a reststop, come on, can I get a gas station. Annoyed with the driver is a pleasant way to put my mood. I was reading, enjoying the ride and the next thing I know we are in BFE Virginia at a reststop that didn't even have vending machines. This is a road trip......please take note we stop at gas stations and get food when we stop. Haven't you ever traveled with a Morton before? Geez. On to lunch. We stop in Gastonia, NC. Rather than help me with the baby, he's starving and wants to know what I want to eat? I don't know asshole, the baby is screaming, I'm more concerned with her lunch than mine right now but thanks for the support. I'll change her diaper too, go get your freaking food. Fast forward to 5:45 PM, we are in Lowndes County about 30 minutes from the promise land and I thought it was going to fall apart for real. Sadie Marie is clearly becoming annoyed with being in her car seat for 14 hours but she's still sleeping for the most part, but then it happened all at once. I guess Cash had had enough of the baby, he rolled her window down like he had been plotting to chunk her out it all day and the sun shade came crashing down, Bailey started barking at the child molester driving the 18 wheeler beside us, Cash joins Bailey in barking, I'm hollering at the driver to go around, he's hollering back he can't there's a fidiot in front of him blocking the road, Sadie Marie starts screaming.......Thirty minutes from home and it's going to the shitter. Well, not on my watch. I fixed the sun shade, instructed the driver to ride the ass of the guy in front of him and cut off the 18 wheeler, which resolves the barking issues of both dogs and told EVERYONE in the car to lock it up. Mom's everywhere would have been proud.

Thirty minutes later we turned into 818 Old Marion Junction Road and I don't think I had every been happier. It's hard to watch your 4 week old daughter sit in a car seat and wiggle all day because she wants to stretch. We perservered and now we are in Selma for two whole weeks.

If this place had more to offer we would move back in a heartbeat. The past few weeks have been exhausting all alone in VA. It's a challenge to do just about anything when I'm home alone and even when the Baby Daddy is there, there's only two of us. I need a nanny or maybe a second set of arms. There is something to be said about raising your kids 12 hours from your family. Everyone keeps telling me they don't know how I do it, but the good news is it's been 4 weeks and we have decided to keep Sadie Marie so I guess we will just keep on keepin' on. I saw her first smile yesterday so I guess she's decided to keep us too.

We've been here almost 24 hours and I think my family is getting used to the idea of me being a mom. Today my grandmother told me she never thought I would have something so precious. Thanks. I get it, I used to be a douche but I have a Master's degree, I've been married for 8 years, and just had a baby........I guess I turned out OK. All I know is the baby is still alive and she survived the trip. We got this parent thing covered so far anyway. Talk to me in 13-16 years and see where we are.

Cunnie and Peggy were all over it this morning while I took the husband to the airport, but when I got back Sadie Marie was making them earn their keep. She cries in the morning and sleeps in the afternoon and at night. It's just who she is, she fights me when I try to burp her and she does not love to burp. I called it. I told them she would settle down around 1 and sleep all afternoon. You can see as I'm writing this blog she is clearly asleep and when I say asleep I mean borderline comatose. It's stressful for a Grammy and a CiCi to not be able to calm her down, I get it. It's funny though, both of them raised four pretty awesome kids and while it's been 30 or so years they are still moms who get stressed when the baby won't stop crying. I love those ladies like no other for walking, burping, changing, feeding, and cleaning up spit up all day today while I got a break! SO......Aunt Peggy and CiCi Love you!!

Ok, it's hitting on 5:11 pm and I can almost guarantee she will be up by 6 PM to eat. It's hotter than hell down here and I am sweating just sitting here typing. I wish there was a pool or at the very least a slip in slide in the yard I could cool off in. I wonder if I can mark blog writing as my workout for the day?

Y'all be good,

Love y'all

April

No comments:

Post a Comment