Friday, June 10, 2011

Had to Break out the Big Girl Underoos Today!

So the past few days have been trying around here to say the least. Little Miss Priss Pot aka Sadie Marie has been showing her you know what! After her 9 am feeding she pitches a fit until about 1 or 2 pm with small sporadic bouts of sleep thrown in, then repeat after the 11 pm feeding.....it's just long enough for me to start on something and not be able to finish, like say breakfast. I have eaten more soggy cereal this week than anyone should ever eat. Babies cry and that just a fact, but when they cry for 3 continous hours, at least 3 days a week, for three weeks in a row, they may have colic. I'm keeping a crying journal on this baby because we are going on day three this week of 2-3 hours of crying that in inconsolable! Sometimes I laugh at little Sadie and sometimes I want to cry, like at 2 am when she is clearly not interested in going back to sleep but fakes me out by closing her eyes for 5 minutes, giving me just enough time to get comfortable and then throwing herself into a tantrum fit for a terrible two year old!
We call this playing possum...."pretending to do something then faking you out"

Baby Daddy: "Do they do that?"
Cunnie: "No! Not really"
April: "HAHAHAHAHAHA"

So while it has been trying I know it's all part of the deal so I did a lot of research today on what to do when your baby won't stop crying, and now I will have to see what actually works! This is not only for myself but also for the Baby Daddy who gets to keep her for a bit tomorrow and on Sunday while I go to baby showers for some friends. I have a list of things to do if Sadie won't stop crying and how to use the frozen breast milk I have stored. I'm not worried. I wrote the instructions down, all he as to do is follow them :)

So today after our crying fit calmed down a bit, I got a shower and adamantly decided I was going to go out with Sadie on our first big girl trip. Big girl for her because no one would be sitting in the back seat with her and big girl for me because no one was going to be in the car with me! It has been a week since I left this house and cabin fever is not the correct term for what I got going on. Cabin Hurricane, Typoid Fever is more like it. It has been really hot here the past few days and today we got a little break from the 102 degrees we experienced yesterday so I thought it would be a good day to take a short ride, get some lunch, and test the water on a solo trip with the baby. Sadie took a little power nap between crying fits and I got a shower, put on my big girl panties, and got myself ready to go. Now get the baby ready and get the diaper bag! This was the first time I had to load everything in the car by myself and I tell you what, it's alot more convenient when your husband carries the baby down the stairs, puts the diaper bag in the car and drives you around, but again, I wanted to go to town so off we went!

I had already decided that I had 10 minutes to change my mind before we got somewhere where it would be hard to turn around. I was not worried, the car usually puts her right to sleep but after the past few days I was not so sure sleep would be a sure bet in the car and since it takes 10 minutes to get from our house to the front gate of the neighboorhood, where all bets are off and it's dog eat dog on the roads, I knew I had those 10 minutes to change my mind, but if we made it that far we would be home free. Popeye's is not far from the gate and I figured I could weather the crying if she started after that point. Well, of course as soon as we got about halfway out of the Harbour, she started crying........eek! My mind is racing, do I turn around or do I forge on? I got my big girl panties on and it would be a shame to waste the wear, I only break them out on special occassions on onward we went on our quest for spicy Louisiana chicken.

Luckily, she only cried for about 15 seconds and I let out a huge sigh of relief. We made it to the red light at the front gate and I thought, this is going pretty good so I contemplated a Bank of America pit stop to deposit my disablity check, but seeing there were two people in line at the ATM, it's Friday afternoon, and the Stafford Plaza was a MADHOUSE, I skipped that hot mess and went onward to Popeye's. There are 3 redlights in between the front gate of my neighboorhood and Popeye's, guess how many times Sadie Marie cried after we got out of the Harbour.......Seven times. She cried when I stopped at each red light and once at the Popeye's stop. Not to shabby if I do say so myself, the cries stopped when we started moving again and they were just annoyed cries not the death defying screams she had been delivering, so all in all a successful trip! We made our way back home and I got us all back inside the house without incident. I put Sadie Marie in her swing and she's still swinging almost 3 hours later.....but Houston we have movement, so I'm going to wrap this up and below are some pictues of her before we left the house today.

Love y'all,


April
Sadie and her two little buddies, they kept her company on the ride today!

1 comment:

  1. Go Momma! You're doing awesome. Newborns are hard work. To calm crying I comfort nurse and wear/hold the baby (this means I have Merritt on my body pretty much 24/7, which can be frustrating (very!), but no crying!) Do you have a ring sling or other carrier you can hold her belly to belly, like a moby wrap?

    ReplyDelete